Holsworthy

The Holsworthy Biogas Plant in West Devon is the UK’s first, and most productive, centralised anaerobic digestion power station. Organic commercial and municipal wastes are processed at the plant, producing renewable energy and a valuable bio-fertiliser.

Three 4,000m3 digesters can process 80,000m3 per year of organic material. After pasteurisation and digestion this is returned to local farms as a bio-fertiliser for use on both arable and grass land. In February 2011 AnDigestion became the only company in the UK to receive certification under PAS110 for the quality of their bio-fertiliser. The plant has 3.9MWof installed generating capacity. The amount of electricity being generated at any one time depends on the quantity and nature of the feedstocks being supplied to the plant. Typically, the plant produces 1,600 - 1,800 MWhs per month. Around 90% of the electricity generated at the plant is exported to the National Grid, with the other 10% powering the plant itself.

The feedstocks for the plant come from various sources, including industrial bakeries and food processors, abattoirs, fish processors, cheese producers, biodiesel manufacturers and councils. Large producers may supply 50-100 tonnes per week of waste, whilst small businesses may only generate 1 tonne per week. Andigestion strives to meet the needs of all potential customers, whatever their size.

Holsworthy Biogas Plant provides a renewable and environmentally sustainable source of energy. It is a clean and efficient process for handling animal by-products and returning valuable nutrients to farmland, without incurring the huge energy costs required in mineral fertiliser production. 

Click here to view a schematic of the Holsworthy process.